Thursday 30 August 2007

A year ago..

Campus placements had begun. We, the first batch of integrated media students in the history of our university were sitting down to write the tests on the basis of which we would get shortlisted for next day's interview. Only one drawback - the job!!!

After having studied 5 years of media, the last thing I wanted was to sit in front of a comp and do coding for an IT major. Its not like I was bad at coding or any such thing, just didnt want to do it. But I did need a job that my mom could repeat to the society at large and keep them quiet for a year. It was tougher for my mom cos she had given birth to an engineering dropout, a member of society who ranks one above paedophiles, drug peddlers and pimps. So if I did get placed it would be a good thing for the various stake holders who have invested in my existence.

So I sat down, answered ten questions on the speed of trains, distance travelled by cars, number of diamonds stolen by thieves and another set of questions on the English language. Seemed a cinch for me as well as for my buddies who sat with me writing the test. When we came out, we all had the same answers!! And out of some 50 odd only 10 got shortlisted, talk about lady luck. How the hell do they shortlist I wondered aloud, only to have my mouth shut with the retort - "What's your bloody problem, you got shortlisted na, all the best for the interview tmr."

Oh the interview tmr, hell. Formals to be worn. Decent shirt, decent pants and pair of shoes. That's about it. Land at the interview centre to see a confluence of ties. So many ties. Everywhere I turned the same question - "You not wearing a tie?"

Luckily, I had my two partners in crime. Kozhi and Masth. Kozhi was asked - "Is that what you wearing for the interview?" and Masth - "You here for the interview?". Guess I had one up on them atleast. We were nervous. Its not like the job meant the world to us. Its an IT job. Hell. But the fear of rejection was eating on us.

K. was the first to go in for the interview. He came out with a smile. "Dude, its a stress interview for me da. One twenty something year old girl wearing sleeveless was sitting, raising her arms behind her head. They were testing to see if I could be distracted" He was just joking, but it could be true. Soon the gospel spread. "Dont look at the armpits, keep looking at her face..only her face" This was only in room number 7 I think. There were 30 other rooms with no gospels.

My room had a rotund 30 something year old lady sitting on a chair with my resume on the table in front of her and wearing a shirt WITH sleeves. Hmmm. So the stress here has to do with looking at her scary face I guess.
Hello and hi done with. First question is shot at me - "Why is there a gap in my education?" I had to discontinue my engineering after a year for personal reasons. Personally detested engineering, but you cant tell them that now can you.

"Do you like sports, as in do you play sports?" Yes, I do "Do you play team sports?" Yes, I do.

"What were the last books you read?" The Greatest by Muhammad Ali and Razor's Edge by Somerset Maugham.

"Do you have anything to ask us?" Yes I will be graduating from a course in Media, so will my job be related to my course?

"Do you know what post we are interviewing you for?" No

"Software Engineer Trainee" But I am not an Engineer

"We know that, just wanted you to know the post you are being interviewed for and that it has nothing to do with media" Hmmm. End of interview.

550 odd students are selected by the IT major. My name is one among the selected. Mom should be happy about it, poor lady has had to suffer enough. I can always look for a job in media in the next one year and not join the IT major.

All this was a year ago. A year hence, the IT major has called me for training. I postponed it.
And now I have escaped the IT professional life by joining a TV channel.. cheers to the world!!!

No comments: