Saturday 25 August 2007

wanderLUST

As I write this post, two buds of mine are doing things that I would have killed to do. Ok maybe not kill, but I sure wish I was in their place.

One is off to Iraq. That's right..IRAQ!!! The country where bombs go off every other day. Where there is a civil war happening between Shias and Kurds. Thats where she is going on a pilgrimage. She, her parents and 70 others if I am not mistaken. I would have loved to go to Iraq, although not with my parents and 70 others and never for a pilgrimage. Just to go and see and get an idea of what really happens and is happening there. To get my perspective on the war torn country. To understand the country that has given the world so much culture right from Mesopotamia to the Arabian Nights, which now lies devastated.

The other friend of mine has set off on a North India trip (atleast that is what he says, with him one can never be sure) He has set off on a quest for the all important truth. Hopefully his search will end under the shade of some Peepal tree. Most likely to be somewhere near Jamshedpur, but he could also be in Coonoor or hiding in his KK Nagar home.. With him one can never be sure.

Travelling is such a pleasure. I cant answer the question of Why does one travel. But I do know why I love to travel. Its for this moment, where everything else no longer exists and its just you and the surroundings, and you bond with the place like no one else can. Everyone feels wonder when they first visit the Taj Mahal, but everyone do not feel the wonder that you feel. When you first sight the Taj, it does not matter who is standing next to you. Mundane questions like where you are going to get your next meal from is pushed to the background. Its just you and the edifice of love, standing face to face.

Such moments can happen anywhere. On a crowded bus that suddenly breaks down in the middle of nowhere and it starts to rain. There you are, where? you are not sure. You just walk to the nearest tea shop, get yourself a hot tea and suddenly realise that the only thing on your mind is the tea you are sipping. You are in the moment.
Such moments is what I travel for, and I hope my two pals find many such moments in their trips. Famous last word - GOOMTAKKA

No comments: