Sunday 25 October 2009

Dreams of a lost childhood...

Had been struck down by an irritating viral the whole of last week, good excuse to sleep a lot without feeling too guilty. In IIMB if you sleep more than 6 hours a day it's considered to be a crime of the second order and people tend to shun you ;)

In one of those prescribed drugs induced slumber sessions, I had this rather weird dream where I am walking with my mom and this is a much younger me, 7-8 years old, walking down one of those many tree lined roads of Besant Nagar and all of a sudden a crocodile is coming running down the road. The next thing I know I am hiding in some house, do not know which house this is. I rush out, and my mom and dad are in our car and they pick me up. They seem to be returning from Grand Sweets and Snacks. It's almost an iconic institution in Adyar area of Chennai and they make... Sweets and Snacks!

So I go back home and my bro is there... the little fella and we sit at home and eat the stuff from Grand Sweets.

Its not a great dream, but I woke up to the reality that my childhood will never return. I am never ever going to be 7 again and sit with my 3 and a half year old brother and eat snacks... eat anything for that matter!

I wish I had done more with my childhood. Wish I had lied more and got out of tuition more often to go out and play. Tuition was a lark. Imagine studying a language, Hindi, for 10 years in school and nearly 7 years of tuition and still not be able to piece together a decent sentence in Hindi. Tuition was not one of those things I really miss about childhood. I miss being able to ask my dad to get me something everytime he went on a tour. I am hardly at home these days, wish I get to talk to my dad more often once I am finished with IIMB.

It used to be fun to hope and pray for a holiday everytime it rained! Playing Rugby with stuffed toys that people mistakenly gave my bro thinking he was a girl ;) Ok that is a bit of an exaggeration, he did look like a girl but the gifts were given more out of laziness I guess.

I miss making orange squash and watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies. Munching on Potato chips and imagining I am Leonardo, the leader. I should probably add that to my resume point here. That I always was Leonardo, the leader, when we pretended to be Ninja turtles.

Hating girls and thinking up of new ways to insult them. Ruining all those girly games they had with new lyrics praising the superiority of boys. The whole hey pillar, caterpillar, lazy girls, active boys... I am not sure how that one ended though... ooh aah ouch or something like that.

Getting into fights and having this almost foolish pride about having achieved something if I could inflict a few more scratches on the opponent... who was big and very very strong ;)

Playing cricket, watching cricket, movies, lazy summer vacations, cricket camps... wish I had done more with my childhood. Not much of naughtiness, hardly any mischief, a shy and quiet kid who had the weirdest fascination for crocodiles!

8 comments:

archith said...

Shy and Quiet kid. Riiiiiiiiiiiight. I can see that the fever did your imagination a world of good. Welcome to the early throes of mid-life crisis brother :) oh and FIRST!!!

Ganesh Jeyaraman said...

crocodiles are frequent visitors in my dreams too.. but more often, I see myself in a vast desert, being chased by huge sand balls (can you believe that? :))! ...
I used to think you must have been quite mischievous as a kid! Don ask me why.
I always think I had the worst, quietest very chamathu types and uninteresting childhoods yever.!

Vinay Sekhar said...

@ Archith - Ha ha ha... how are u doing bro? Shall continue the conversation over a mail

@ Ganesh - Crocodiles arent that frequent in my dreams... in fact they hardly ever come... big balls of sand also dont come... maybe those big balls are a reference to your shortcomings ;)

lakshmi said...

ha ha such unexpected writing from vinay :) have never seen you talking in his tone... so i'm not able to imagine you sayig all this... but very nice :)

Lucky said...

Your post reminded me of tha amazing pleasure I used to get watching talespin/ducktales/mowgli on sunday mornings on DD..
Of the wishful thinking that playing for indian cricket team comes in 4 easy steps...
1) Play for your school. 2) Play for a local club. 3) Get into the Ranji team. 4) And u r in...Indian cricket team!!!
And how I felt that I am almost there when I played for the school cric team...
Aah...those were the days man...

Vinay Sekhar said...

@ Lucky - well one down, 3 more to go... you can still do it bro ;)

Jah said...

vinaY Vinay, it this the same guys, with whom i studied for 5rys.. "hardly any mischief, a shy and quiet kid" ahah ahah ahahha.. people who know you well will be thinkig in different.. rofl;)
this makes me remember of you saying about the real shit u did when you are in temple tour with ur mom and relatives... :D

Vinay Sekhar said...

@Jah - I have no clue what you are talking about da... what did I do in the temple?