Wednesday 8 April 2009

Monologues on God, Religion, Identity etc. - 2

Things started to change and transition was almost sudden but in truth it must have been gradual. I am not sure if anyone can change his/her principles and beliefs ingrained over years of existence in a matter of days or weeks or months.

I guess the truth is that I was never really convinced about religion in general and the interpretation of religion and God that I had grown up adhering to. I never understood why we had to walk around the Sanctum Sanctorum only an odd number of times and never even number. I never really got a convincing explanation. My mother didn't really know the answers to these questions. I was perplexed as to why one had to break coconuts or promise to break coconuts if something turned out the way they had wanted. This seemed like a bribe to me and bribing to me was a crime.

For me God and Religion were means to keep Man humble and accountable to the society at large so it seemed quite an anomaly when I read that the Tirupathi temple was getting a large amount of black money. Could God be appeased by black money?

3 comments:

archith said...

looking forward to reading ur blogs two years down the line ;)

Religions have evolved from being philosophic schools of thought, to being control mechanisms today. but the larger question to be pondered is whether Atheism(as opposed to Deism or Agnostic principles) is inherently offensive to our moralistic beliefs in a benevolent creator.

u cant keep the card carrying red brigade guy hidden within can u lol

prem said...

there are lotta questions that dont have convincing answers when god or religeon matters.....they are followed as did by their parents just to be in safer side...to me religeon or god is a X that was used to frighten man to not take a wrong path...hmmm....lotta atheist thinking going in me... :)

karthik said...

vinay, all these manifestations are form of formless. And ur scepticism abt astrology is true.... it does not give u exact measure... but give a view abt ur future.

Believe what u see and i'm sure u can see the pancha bhoodhams.

They r the real so-called God.